Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thursday, August 26, 2010, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

The Great American Road Trip is winding down. We spent most of today at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a terrific place to go. Great exhibits, lots of guitars, and tons of outfits worn by rock stars in their shows. An extensive exhibit on the how R&R started from its roots in country, rhythm and blues, jazz, etc. I was a young kid when R&R started, and I can remember how it took over the airwaves, gradually supplanting almost everything else. There was a TV show called "Your Hit Parade" where singers like Rosemary Clooney sang the top 10 songs on the Billboard chart each week. When they started having to sing songs by Little Richard and Chuck Berry, you knew that show would have to go. If you have a chance, go see the Hall of Fame. You won't have to drive 12,000 miles, like we did.

Tomorrow we're going to explore Pittsburgh, and then...home to Upper Marlboro.

More random thoughts:

  • We haven't done laundry since Las Vegas! We brought a lot of clothes with us, but still...
  • I packed one suitcase for warm weather places and another one for places I thought might be cold. Somewhere along the line I needed something from the "other" suitcase, some things got mixed together. Now, since I can't remember what suitcase has what, I have to lug them both into the motels with me. Sure, I could rearrange stuff properly but, hey! I'm on vacation.
  • We've had great weather. We had a couple of thunderstorms on the Florida Panhandle and someplace else in the South, and it was misting for a little while in Oregon one day, but otherwise it's been beautiful--sunny and warm (except for La Jolla!).
  • The parks we visited were beautiful things to behold and each one was unique, even if was part of a genre. That is, each desert park was different from every other desert park, and the same goes for the mountain parks. And Serry and I were very impressed by the quality of the visitor centers and the people who operate them. The rangers were particularly helpful with suggestions about what to do and see in the parks. That was very helpful because, though I've been dreaming for years about visiting these parks, I was too lazy to figure out what to do if I actually got to visit them.






No comments:

Post a Comment