Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday, August 5, 2010. Williams, Calif. (not the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here).

Before I forget...On our way to Death Valley on Sunday we stopped in a tiny crossroads town in Nevada for gas. We went into a largely empty store to get a drink and noticed a number of books for sale about Nevada brothels, including some signed by the author--Heidi Fleiss (remember her?). When we walked back to the car, we realized we were parked next to the Cherry Patch Ranch House of Prostitution. Pretty cool. We didn't stop in.

Today we stopped in Modesto for an oil change and then drove to Sacramento, a really nice place to visit. We spent most of the time in the old restored historic district. Just like an old western town, with wooden sidewalks. And, for some reason, lots of candy stores. Sacramento is where Wells-Fargo started the Pony Express in the 18-somethings, around the 50's, I think. Who can remember? Sacramento is supposed to be one of the nicest places in the country to live. So we left it for Williams. Tomorrow we head northwest toward the coast and Redwoods National Park.

Ken has been driving for days now and perhaps tomorrow I can help out a little; the hairpin turns in Sequoia and Yosemite were too much for me too handle. So as Ken is driving round and up and down these gorgeous mountains and I am being rocked to sleep. After about 1/2 hour I
can't keep my eyes open, I am totally relaxed, the same way I am in a plane or on Ken's motorcycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment