Sunday, August 26, 2012

Canyonlands National Park

Moab, Utah

We toured and hiked Canyonlands NP today. When we arrived at the visitors station, I mentioned to the park ranger that I was writing a blog each night about the parks we were visiting, and that I was having a hard time describing them. She said she knew exactly what I meant. All the parks contain fascinating, spectacular mesas, buttes, rock formations, canyons, etc. Each one is very different from the others, but they're very difficult to describe in words. It's like trying to describe how two women, who don't resemble each other, are nevertheless both beautiful. You simply have to see the parks to appreciate their grandeur.

Almost forgot. Yesterday, while hiking in Capitol Reef, we came across a female Bighorn Sheep with a broken rear leg. She had a kid with her, and she seemed to get along pretty well, but I don't suppose she'll last very long in that condition. Eventually, a mountain lion or something will get her.

Utahans seem pretty health-conscious--lots of mountain biking and other outdoor sports. So it's surprising to me the amount of food the restaurants serve. The other day in Escalante I had  1/3 lb cheeseburger (all the  hamburgers out here are 1/3 pounders), and French fries for about $8. I could barely get my mouth around the burger. That night, not very hungry, I ordered a burrito that turned out to be the size of a football. Last night I had a Caesar salad wrap. Another football!

Tomorrow: Arches National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment