Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday, July 19, 2010. We're in Tucson, Arizona! The very word makes me want to strap on a six gun, hop on a horse, and join a posse. But it's 105 degrees! So maybe I'll just go to 7-11 and grab a slurpee.

We drove here through beautiful scenery from El Paso. We toured Saguaro NP West. The cacti are amazing. Because they're protected, I always figured saguaro were rare. Not so; there are zillions of them. Tomorrow we're going to the Sonora Desert Museum and then Saguaro NP East, which is supposed to be different than the western park. We'll see.

Ken forgot to mention the 2 ghost towns we stopped to visit on our way here, both are now double ghost towns, no longer open to the curious public.
The Sugaro's are amazing to see and have an interesting life story. I think most surprising to us was seeing the skeleton beneath the fleshy part of the Sugaro. It is quite beautiful, delicate and intricate, like a wood carving. We plan to be at the museum at 7am, we want to wake the animals...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom and Dad-
    Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading your posts.

    I remember being in AZ (near Flagstaff) and exclaiming "I didn't expect to see saguaro cacti!!!"

    They floored me!

    xo

    ReplyDelete