Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday, July 18, 2010. We spent a good portion of the day in El Paso, down near the border crossing area. The streets are loaded with cheap (e.g., 6 bras for $9) stores that cater to Mexicans that come to El Paso for the day. Also toured the El Paso Museum of Art. Very hot in El Paso, so we drove to Las Cruces, New Mexico, where the motel desk clerk said it was 102 degrees, So naturally, we went to historic Old Mesilla, the original town around which Las Cruces grew up. Kind of cute--old adobe buildings now containing shops and restaurants that cater to tourists crazy enough to venture out in the heat. Of course, July is the worst part of the year here. In Spring and Fall the weather is moderate, wildflowers are in bloom, and nobody gets heat struck walking out in the blazing sun. Tomorrow we're heading to Tucson, Arizona...where it's probably even hotter!
Serafina's take: I felt a little like an intruder in the shopping area of Old El Paso, we were obviously tourists and fortunately I was not loaded with jewelry. I also tried to be discreet in my picture taking, like shooting without looking at a subject. (I've seen Michael do this) I was impressed with the order of these very small shops, well displayed, huge, huge amounts of merchandise and very neat and colorful. I could not keep from taking pics, a riot of colors, too much visual stimulation for me. There are not any grocery items sold in any of these shops, which I thought unusual, they must not be permitted to take back to Juarez.
Ken and I were advised to avoid El Paso, and I am glad we went, it is another world and should be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment